Sign Up for Email Updates
Enter the Haute Dog Poetry Contest following the "30-Minute Beach Cleanup" Sat., March 21
To participate in the 250th monthly 30-Minute Beach Cleanup and the 8th year of the Haute Dog Poetry Contest, arrive 9:35 - 10 AM Get a free raffle ticket for door prizes, if you are arrived before 10 AM
Win one or more of out $20 bills! Dogs are welcome to attend.
- poetry does not have to be memorized
- must be dog-themed
- max. two poems per entrant
- poems must be one minute or less
- no props; dogs welcome
- all ages welcome to enter, entry is free
- poetry must be original and dog-themed
- microphone provided
- bring a printed copy of your poem
- sign-up at the event
- more about the beach cleanup before the poetry contest: BeachCleanup.org
Rosie's Dog Beach in Long Beach is VERY Popular Year-Round
ROSIE'S DOG BEACH in Long Beach permits off-leash beach access for dogs and their owners in a 4.2-acre area, daily from 6 AM to 8 PM The area, named after Justin Rudd's late English Bulldog "Rosie" that inspired the beach's creation, is at 5000 E. Ocean Blvd., basically between Roycroft and Granada avenues at the water in Belmont Shore, 90803. THE LAW: ONE DOG PER ADULT. Dogs must remain on-leash unless within the orange-coned area at the water. CLICK HERE for a Rosie's Dog Beach map, driving directions, rules, photos and more details. www.RosiesDogBeach.com
Illegal Breeding in Long Beach
It is illegal to breed dogs in Long Beach without a Breeding Permit and illegal to sell or adopt animals without a Transfer Permit. More information is available online about the permitting process and the consequences. BREEDING ENFORCEMENT DETAILS
Choose a New Best Friend
Haute Dog Adoptions & Rescue Groups
ADOPTION IS a great option!
CLICK HERE for a huge listing of shelters, rescues, and agencies Los Angeles, Orange County, Long Beach and all of Southern California where you can find beautiful, adoptable dogs of all breeds and mixes. MORE
LONG BEACH | 18TH ANNUAL
Bring Your Pets to the FREE Interfaith Blessing of the Animals Sun., Oct. 3, 2021
BLESS THE PETS, Sun., Oct. 3, 2021, at sunset, about 5:40 PM, at 1 Granada Ave., Belmont Shore in Long Beach, 90803, next to Rosie's Dog Beach, on the concrete boat launch ramp overlooking the Pacific Ocean. The Interfaith Blessing of the Animals is FREE and presented by Haute Dogs and Justin Rudd.
Seniors, families, singles, and children, were encouraged to bring their dogs, cats, birds, lizards, rabbits, pot-bellied pigs, fish, tortoises and turtles and other well-behaved pets. DETAILS
click above to view photos
Rain or Shine: Contests for all breeds and mixes on Sun., Feb. 9, 2019
Marine Stadium, 5225 Paoli Way, Long Beach, 90803 MAP
Sponsors include Councilwoman Suzie Price's office and Port of Long Beach.
- 9:40 AM: Best Dog with a Disability (all breeds/mixes; i.e. blind, deaf, wheelchaired, three-legged, etc.)
- 10 AM: National (English) Bulldog Beauty Contest
- 11 AM: Best Jr. Handler, generally for kids ages 8-16 and their dogs
- 11:15 AM: Best Senior Dog (all breeds/mixes, ages 7+)
- 11:30 AM: Best Young Dog (16 weeks to 1 year; all breeds/mixes)
- 11:45 AM: Most Handsome Dog (all male dogs; all mixes/breeds)
- 12 PM: Prettiest Dog (all female dogs; all mixes/breeds)
- 12:15 PM: French Bulldog Beauty Contest
- 12:40 PM: Cutest Dog (all breeds/mixes)
- 12:50 PM: Best Costume/Outfit on a dog (all breeds/mixes)
- 1 PM: National Mutt Show (all mixed breeds)
- 1:15 PM: Best Smile (all breeds/mixes)
- 1:30 PM: Best in Show (all breeds/mixes)
- 1:50 PM: Best Legs (all breeds/mixes)
- 2 PM: Best Small Dog (generally 20 lbs. or less and/or shorter than 16 inches; not puppies)
- 2:10 PM: Best Large Dog (generally 60+ lbs.)
- 2:20 PM: Most Photogenic (all breeds/mixes)
- 2:30 PM: Best Ears (all breeds/mixes)
- 2:40 PM: Best Butt (all breeds/mixes)
- 2:50 PM: Best Tail (all breeds/mixes)
Win gift baskets, framed winner's certificates, blue ribbons, and bragging rights for a year!
Adoption fair, food trucks and vendors begin at 9:30.
Students: Will You Make a Valentine's Card for a Shelter Dog, Cat or Rabbit by Sat., Feb. 8?
CONTEST is Sat., Feb. 8, 11 a.m. - noon, Long Beach Animal Care Services and HAUTE DOGS, and Justin Rudd are sponsoring the 8th annual handmade Valentine's card contest for Long Beach-area students (K-12) to create lovable Valentine's cards for the 120+ dogs, 50+ cats and rabbits housed at the Long Beach Animal Care Services shelter. Hundreds of cards were submitted last year.
CARDS from adults are encouraged, too, but will not be judged in the contest. Rudd says, "There are hundreds of dogs and cats in our city who are looking for love and affection while waiting for forever homes. Let's show them our love this season. We encourage classrooms, scout groups, church youth groups, and other organizations to create cards for the animals."
Cards should be received at Long Beach Animal Care Services, 7700 E. Spring St., Long Beach, CA 90808. Students should place their name, grade level, teacher's name and school name on the very back of the card. Cards will not be returned.
WIN A PIZZA PARTY! The student who crates the winning card will receive a pizza party for their friends, classroom or group (up to 30 people). Judging will take into consideration the grade level of the student, and will be based on creativity, originality, and first impression. The folded cards should not exceed 5x7, and should not include any particular animal’s name. Volunteers will randomly assign a card to an animal’s kennel. The goal is to get at least one card per animal that will be attached to each pet's kennel through the Valentine's Day week.
YAPPY HOUR: In addition to the regular shelter hours, the public is invited to come view the cards and their creators, spend time with the animals and "fall in love" during a special Yappy Hour where drinks and cookies will be served to human guests, soft love songs will be playing, the shelter animals will receive special Valentine's goodies, and awards will be announced for the best Valentine's cards.
Justin Rudd and the Miss Long Beach and Miss Southern California Cities titleholders will also be hosting the event and contest. The Yappy Hour will surely allow visitors time to find a 4-legged sweetheart to love.
Regular hours for the shelter are Wed. thru Fri. 10 AM to 5:30 PM and Sat. thru Sun. from 10 AM to 4 PM The shelter is closed Mon. and Tues.
Direct any questions to Justin@JustinRudd.com. Visit the shelter online at http://longbeach.gov/acs